Undersea and Marine
High Performance Copper Alloys offer Undersea Solutions
Typical end uses for our high performance copper alloys in the undersea and marine market include:
- Undersea Pressure Vessels – Telecommunications
- Undersea Pressure Vessels – Defense
- Branching Unit Housings
- Gimbal Assemblies
- Cable to Cable Splicing Components
- Fastener Systems
- Valve Bodies
- Seal Rings
- Nonmagnetic Cable Cutters
- Wire Mesh Structures
The Benefits of Using Copper Beryllium and ToughMet® in Undersea Applications
Optical amplifiers, power sources, magnetometers, hydrophones and other high reliability systems are housed in hydrostatic sealed containers that must withstand demanding conditions in service and deployment. In brief, these housings:
- Remain leak tight for multi-year system lifetimes
- Resist corrosive environments and hydrostatic pressure
- Survive mechanical stresses from aggressive handling in deployment
- Join and seal easily during assembly by welding, brazing, soldering and mechanical fastening
- Avoid galling or seizing during assembly and breakout
- Maintain precise dimensional stability in manufacture and service
- Keep components cool by dissipating internally generated heat
These alloys provide: relief from the need for coatings; relief from biofouling concerns; a re-usable housing component system; and, a wide selection of hardware, made to order including, universal joints, couplings, retaining rings, spring washers and similar components.
All this is available at a cost that is as low as possible within the appropriate specifications, component and assembly drawings, and other custom requirements.
Brush Performance Alloys Offers Solutions
Undersea and Marine requirements are best met with C17200 (Brush Alloy 25), and C17000 (Brush Alloy 165) as well as with C72900 (ToughMet® 3AT) and C72900 (ToughMet® 3TS).
- The copper beryllium alloys are noted for their superb performance during long term exposure. With a yield strength design allowable of 130 ksi and above, they serve well as the alloys of choice in the undersea environment.
- The ToughMet® alloys, with design allowables up to 110 ksi yield strength, benefit from outstanding resistance to corrosion and erosion; offer inherently low friction with virtual immunity to galling, and excel at carrying high loads under rotational or translational motion.
Materion Brush Performance Alloys' experience, manufacturing technology, quality systems, and synergy are defining future trends in undersea and marine components and assemblies. Put that knowledge to work for you! Contact us today, or request a quote online.