MoldMAX XL by Materion Brush Performance Alloys is a high strength copper mold alloy with good thermal conductivity.
MoldMAX XL contains no beryllium and is available in sections as large as 12 thick. The plastic tooling alloy’s hardness is comparable with AISI P-20 tool steel, but its thermal conductivity is two to three times higher.
Advantages/Benefits of MoldMAX XL
Due to the unique combination of thermal conductivity and strength available in these copper mold alloys, you gain advantages like:
- Shorter cycle time
- Improved plastic part dimensional control
- Better parting line maintenance
- Excellent corrosion resistance
MoldMAX XL provides excellent toughness, wear resistance and surface finish, and typically machines faster than tool steels, and with appropriate machine tools, metal removal rates several times higher can be obtained.
Chemical Composition of MoldMAX XL
- Nickel – 8.5 – 9.5
- Tin -5.5 – 6.5
- Copper - balance
moldmax XL common uses and applications
MoldMAX XL is commonly used for injection mold cores and cavities.
Chemical composition of MoldMAX XL
- Nickel – 8.5 to 9.5
- Tin – 5.5 to 6.5
- Copper - balance
Physical properties of MoldMAX XL
- Elastic modulus - 17.0x106 psi (117 GPa)
- Density - .322 lb/in3 (8.90 g/cm3)
- Poisson's Ratio - 0.3
- Thermal conductivity at 212°F (100°C) - 40 BTU/hr ft °F (70 W/m K)
- Coefficient of Thermal Expansion - 9.0 ppm/°F (16.2 ppm/°C)
- Specific Heat (Heat Capacity) at 70°F (20°C) - 0.090 BTU/lb °F (377 J/kg K)
- Specific Heat (Heat Capacity) at 212°F (100°C) - 0.093 BTU/lb °F (389 J/kg K)
- Melting Temperature (Solidus) - 1695°F (925°C)
Nominal Mechanical properties of MoldMAX XL
- 0.2% Offset Yield Strength - 105 ksi (720 MPa)
- Ultimate Tensile Strength - 115 ksi (790 MPa)
- Tensile Elongation in 2 inches (50.8 mm) - 6%
- Hardness - 30 HRC
- 107 Cycle Rotating Beam (R=-1 / Fully Reversed) Fatigue Strength - 35 ksi (240 MPa)
- Charpy V-Notch (CVN) impact STrength - 15 ft lbs (20 J)
MoldMAX XL Available Forms, Sizes and Tolerances
MoldMAX XL is available in rounds, square and rectangular bars and plate.
Applicable Specifications and Standards
MoldMAX XL is certified to hardness and conductivity only.
Contact Materion Brush Performance Alloys
For more information about MoldMAX XL Plastic Tooling Alloys, contact Materion Brush Performance Alloys today.