MoldMAX HH (High Hard) by Materion Brush Performance Alloys is the premier copper mold alloy. This alloy has a hardness and strength comparable with standard tool steels but its thermal conductivity is at four to six times higher.
Advantages/Benefits of MoldMAX HH
Due to the unique combination of thermal conductivity and strength available in these copper mold alloys, you gain advantages like:
- Shorter cycle time
- Improved plastic part dimensional control
- Better parting line maintenance
- Excellent corrosion resistance
The high hardness of MoldMAX HH provides durability in applications where other high conductivity copper alloys fail. The alloy resists galling against other mold alloys, including itself.
moldmax hh common uses and applications
MoldMAX HH is commonly used for injection mold cores and cavities, as well as pinch-offs for blow molds.
Chemical composition of MoldMAX HH
- Beryllium – 1.8-2.0
- Cobalt + Nickel – 0.2-0.6
- Copper - balance
Physical properties of MoldMAX HH
- Elastic modulus - 19.0x106 psi (131 GPa)
- Density - .302 lb/in3 (8.36 g/cm3)
- Poisson's Ratio - 0.3
- Thermal conductivity at 212°F (100°C) - 75 BTU/hr ft °F (130 W/m K)
- Coefficient of Thermal Expansion - 9.7 ppm/°F (17.5 ppm/°C)
- Specific Heat (Heat Capacity) at 70°F (20°C) - 0.086 BTU/lb °F (360 J/kg K)
- Specific Heat (Heat Capacity) at 212°F (100°C) - 0.097 BTU/lb °F (406 J/kg K)
- Melting Range - 1600 to 1800°F (870 to 980°C)
Nominal Mechanical properties of MoldMAX HH
- 0.2% Offset Yield Strength - 145 ksi (1000 MPa)
- Ultimate Tensile Strength - 170 ksi (1170 MPa)
- Tensile Elongation in 2 inches (50.8 mm) - 5%
- Hardness - 40 HRC
- 107 Cycle Rotating Beam (R=-1 / Fully Reversed) Fatigue Strength - 45 ksi (310 MPa)
- Charpy V-Notch (CVN) impact STrength - 5 ft lbs (7 J)
MoldMAX HH Available Forms, Sizes and Tolerances
MoldMAX HH is available in rounds, square and rectangular bars, plate and forged rings.
Applicable Specifications and Standards
MoldMAX HH is certified to hardness and conductivity only.
Contact Materion Brush Performance Alloys
For more information about MoldMAX HH Plastic Tooling Alloys, contact Materion Brush Performance Alloys today.