RELIABLE, HIGH PERFORMANCE MATERIALS FOR BETTER AVIONICS SYSTEMS
Metal matrix composites (MMC) and beryllium metal are low-weight alternative materials that can be used to build improved avionics systems. These materials provide avionics components with increased stiffness and consistent properties when operating in high altitudes. They offer exceptional reliability for any mission critical avionics such as military reconnaissance equipment, aircraft guidance systems, radar systems and electronic chassis.
Read about a recent avionics material success: AlBeMet MMC was selected to be on the RQ-4 Global Hawk Drone for the long-range multi-spectral imaging sensor.
UNMATCHED STIFFNESS, LIGHTWEIGHTING & THERMAL STABILITY FOR AVIONICS
Materion metal matrix composites (MMC) and beryllium metals offer design engineers solutions to their most pressing challenges, whether it is reducing weight, improving instrument panel stiffness or ensuring accuracy in changing temperatures and harsh conditions. These materials provide a range of valuable properties: low density, thermal stability, high thermal conductivity, high specific stiffness, tailorable coefficient of thermal expansion, and mechanical properties with a high degree of isotropy.
Materion materials used for avionics applications include:
- AlBeMet® MMC is an aluminum and beryllium composite that reduces jitter in optical structures and increases fatigue life of electronic packages.
- AlBeCast® MMC offers similar properties to AlBeMet and as a cast composite, less material is used in production and less machining time is required.
- E-materials (Be-BeO MMC) provides high strength with good thermal conductivity and high modulus to improve avionic thermal management.
- SupremEX® MMC uses aircraft aluminum with silicon-carbide reinforcement to provide a lighter, stiffer and stronger composite that is ideal for aircraft components.
- Structural grade beryllium metal allows for weight reductions and increased stiffness, making it ideal for instrument panels or targeting systems.
Look beyond avionics. Learn more about other aerospace alloys and coatings.
THE ALBECAST® COMPOSITE DESIGN GUIDE
This publication provides an overview of our AlBeCast aluminum beryllium investment casting process. AlBeCast offers favorable properties for avionics and aerospace systems and as a composite made through casting it can require less input material. This document is intended to help engineers understand the aluminum beryllium casting process capabilities, process limitations and typical properties.
UNDERSTANDING MARKET NEEDS AND DELIVERING UNPARALLELED SUPPORT
Our dedicated team of scientists and engineers understands the special requirements of the defense market and has developed advanced materials technologies specifically tailored to avionics applications.
Contact our team to learn more about Materion’s materials expertise and see how our team can help you optimize your next project.