BETTER PERFORMANCE IN AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATIONS
SupremEX® aluminum silicon carbide metal matrix composites (MMCs) are ideal to meet demands to reduce overall vehicle weight and improve engine efficiency in both performance and commercial automotive markets. SupremEX MMCs can be used for multiple applications, including engine components, suspension systems and chassis.
SUPREMEX® MMC IN COMMERCIAL AUTOMOBILES
In the commercial automotive market where emphasis is on carbon dioxide reduction and better fuel efficiency, SupremEX 225XE MMCs offers higher material performance than industry standard aluminum alloys. SupremEX composites reduce connecting rod weight 65 percent and provide fatigue strength two times that of aluminum alloys. In addition, engine components made of SupremEX MMCs are wear resistant and have low friction characteristics that result in reduced wear when running against other materials.
SUPREMEX® MMC FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE AUTOMOBILES
In high performance and racing automotive applications, SupremEX MMCs offer multiple options for achieving improved results. Structural components and Body in White (BiW) frames made of SupremEX 620XF MMCs reduce body weight 25 percent over those constructed of conventional materials. Pistons made of SupremEX 225 MMCs are more efficient, providing improved power and enhanced combustion for reduced CO2 emissions. And, in suspension systems, SupremEX composites has a strong record for reliable, lightweight suspension upright and steering knuckle components that enhance vehicle dynamics.
Learn how SupremEX offers a significant step up in piston performance.
SUPREMEX® COMPOSITE ADVANTAGES
SupremEX composites offer a unique, balanced property combination that includes:
- Exceptional stiffness
- High strength
- High fatigue strength (twice that of most aluminum alloys)
- High tensile strength at elevated temperatures
- Wear resistance
SUPREMEX® COMPOSITES FOR PERFORMANCE & COMMERCIAL AUTOMOTIVE
The SupremEX MMCs product family includes a range of high specific strength and specific stiffness to meet a variety of automotive requirements:
- SupremEX 225XE MMC – 2124/SiC/25p
- SupremEX 225CA MMC – 2124/SiC/25p
- SupremEX 620XF MMC – 6061/SiC/20p
- SupremEX 640XA MMC – 6061/SiC/40p
SupremEX composites are available in:
- HIP Billets (hot isostatic pressing)
- Forged Plates or Shapes
- Extruded Profiles
- Rolled Sheets
OTHER MATERION MATERIALS FOR AUTOMOTIVE APPLICATIONS
- AMC4632 - an aluminum silicon alloy for weight reduction and stability at elevated temperatures
- ToughMet® alloy- a copper nickel tin alloy for friction and wear resistance along with dimensional stability
- Alloy 10X - a copper cobalt beryllium zirconium alloy for improved high temperature strength and ductility
- PerforMet® alloy - a copper nickel silicon chromium alloy for high hardness at high temperatures
CONTACT MATERION AEROSPACE METAL COMPOSITES
For more information about using SupremEX MMCs for your performance and commercial automotive applications or choosing the grade that best meets your requirements, contact us today.