SUPERIOR ALUMINUM SCANDIUM SPUTTER TARGETS FOR NEXT GENERATION pMEMS AND RF FILTERS
To support the thin film-based piezoelectric MEMS (pMEMS) sensor and radio frequency (RF) filter device industry, Materion has developed a casting process for fabricating aluminum scandium sputter targets specifically engineered for the reactive deposition of thin film scandium doped aluminum nitride films. The targets exhibit high chemical uniformity, low oxygen contents, and >3N purity.
FOUND IN A VARIETY OF pMEMS APPLICATIONS
Thin film piezoelectric materials are increasingly found in automotive, industrial, and personal electronic devices. Applications include PMUT-based fingerprint sensors and gesture recognition devices, MEMS microphones, resonator-based chemical sensors, and medical sensors. In addition, scandium doped aluminum nitride films are increasingly needed to enable RF filters for 5G network applications.
CHEMICAL UNIFORMITY & LOW OXYGEN CONTENTS FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE
The market advantages of Materion’s aluminum scandium sputter targets include:
- Highly consistent chemical uniformity across the target and through the target thickness
- Highly consistent film chemical uniformity across the wafer and over the life of the target
- Purity >99.9% with low oxygen contents and low critical contaminant levels
- Tightly controlled microstructure for optimal sputter performance
- Vacuum cast, fully dense targets with adherent low target-to-target variability and low particulation
- Stable scandium sourcing and supply
- Proven solution that is the process of record and in volume production at multiple fabs worldwide
SUPPORTED BY COMPLEMENTARY PRODUCTS & SERVICES
In addition to high-quality aluminum scandium sputtering targets, Materion provides a full line of complementary products and services to support the various stages and requirements of thin film deposition. These products and services include:
- Backing Plates
- Target Bonding
- Precision Parts Cleaning
- Recycling & Refining
- Precious Metals Management
To learn more about our aluminum scandium sputter targets, contact our team today.
Since 1931, Materion has extensive experience in metal refinement, recycling & recovery. To learn how our Aluminum Scandium Target technology can optimize performance and save cost in your production, contact one of our engineers today.