PHYSICAL VAPOR DEPOSITION PROCESSES DELIVER HIGH-QUALITY, RELIABLE SOLUTIONS
Materion’s specialized physical vapor deposition (PVD) processes provide ultimate thin film uniformity and quality. These qualities are essential for challenging applications such as the extreme environment of space, optical components subject to laser damage, and miniaturized, small-pixel sensors. Our PVD processes also produce optimal film quality, which is critical to ensuring consistent readings and responses from sensors in medical, analytic and automotive equipment.
PROVIDING THE RIGHT PROCESSES TO MEET UNIQUE NEEDS
Materion’s 50-year heritage in thin film materials development and application has made us the worldwide market leader. Our specialized PVD expertise and application technologies include:
- Thermal evaporation processes vaporize materials by resistive heat alone, or with the addition of an electron beam (EB) gun.
- Ion Assisted Deposition can be used with any thermal source and directs ion beams onto the substrate during the evaporation process to improve film deposition uniformity and quality.
- Ion Beam Sputtering directs ion beams onto the source material, or sputtering target, to eject atoms and form the vapor. This high-energy process can deposit a wide variety of inorganic materials at low substrate temperatures. IBS coatings have exceptionally low defects.
- Magnetron Sputtering uses a magnetic field to create a dense plasma, accelerating the sputtering process. One of the most versatile sputtering techniques, Magnetron sputtering has a low cost of ownership and produces high quality thin films.
COMBINING TECHNOLOGY AND SERVICE
Materion’s innovative approach to customer service spans from initial product concept consulting to full-scale manufacturing and after-sales support. With more than 100 coating chambers in five strategic locations, our customer-focused team of PVD experts can:
- Provide a full portfolio of material sets - the widest variety in the world available from a single supplier
- Offer scalable manufacturing solutions as product demand grows
- Customize PVD materials and processes to meet exact performance requirements
Materion products using this technology include:
Talk to an engineer today to learn more about how we can develop customized, innovative high value coating solutions for your most challenging applications.