A NEW ALUMINUM ASSOCIATION DESIGNATION: WHAT IS IT AND WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
As the use of aluminum spans an increasing number of applications, the number of requirements used to monitor its quality also increase. To create consistency across the board, The Aluminum Association provides global standards that advance aluminum as the sustainable metal of choice around the world. These standards allow the association to designate certain materials that meet their established alloy chemical composition limits.
Materion’s 5% beryllium aluminum commercial grade master alloy is now formally designated as aluminum hardener H2021 in the association’s International Designation of Aluminum Hardener listings. This means that the association conducted a formal review to confirm that our 5% BeAl meets their standards and provides a quality material for challenging applications.
Benefits of Beryllium Additions in Aluminum Alloys
- Limit magnesium and sodium loss
- Reduce dross and improve metal yield
- Improve metal cleanliness and fluidity
- Limit hydrogen absorption
- Improve alloy strength, ductility and toughness
- Improve hot workability, die life and surface finish
Relatively small additions of beryllium to aluminum and magnesium production melts also provide substantial manufacturing and product quality advantages. The unique combination of properties inherent to elemental beryllium result in significant and tangible product benefits when utilized as an alloy melt addition within aluminum beryllium master alloys.
Generally, preventing magnesium loss and aluminum oxidation during production enables the opportunity for cost savings. Beryllium additions offer the benefit of less dross formation, improved cleanliness, enhanced properties, and consistent chemical compositions.
Learn more about The Aluminum Association designations.
Follow us on LinkedIn for additional updates and articles.
- The newly retired Spitzer Infrared Telescope enabled numerous observations and discoveries—from comets to terrestrial planets. See how beryllium mirrors played a role in this successful mission.